Texas Baseball

On 4/16/2024 at 11:59 PM, Burnt Orange Horn said:

Just dumb to talk about replacing Pierce until Texas baseball NIL is augmented greatly.  Texas is playing from the lower half in the SEC and that will not lead to success.  No coach will seek the position with a low ball NIL fund in place.

Texas baseball would be top 5 in the SEC and no it's not on the level of LSU but no one else is either. 

NIL isn't the issue. The issue is Pierce and how he has chosen to use NIL. He has not and will not fare well in the NIL/portal era of college athletics. His personality, demeanor, and etc don't jive with what you need from a coach in this era. 

The initial list that @Blake Munroe has in one of his post can be slimmed down to these following candidates in order IMO:

1 Erik Bakich - Clemson
2 Mike Canham - Oregon St
3 Tom Walter - Wake Forest
4. Rob Vaughn - Alabama
5A. Cliff Godwin - ECU
5B. Tony Vitello - Tennessee(Personally I wouldn't like this hire and not many would but it's an outside the box hire for Texas. He's a relentless recruiter and players coach who I think could implement our NIL in a modern proper manner to get the most out of teams)

• Hook 'Em 2

That was a big series win! I didn’t think they would turn it around after last Tuesdays showing. 🤘

WTH is wrong with Pierce getting tossed arguing a call that was not at all in doubt? The ball clearly hit Powell. The umps got together and made sure they made the right call. And it was the right call and Pierce throws a full on teenage style temper tantrum. He’s an embarrassment to the program in my opinion. 

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Blake Munroe said:

I said Friday on Coffee and Football that Texas should take the series. TCU is terrible on the road. 

It was good to see LBJ have a better outing. Still not great but much better. 

14 hours ago, horns96 said:

All these midweek losses are killing our RPI, but we're in it until we're not and then CDC can work it out.

🤘

I agree. Thing that could make CDC’s decision a lot harder is this team has the talent to get hot and make a solid run. I know people say you can’t fix pitching overnight and that’s true but winning and momentum goes a long way in terms of player improvement. The schedule gets harder in the next few weeks so we’ll see. To me the damage has been done. This team is currently not even in the top 50 much less the top 5 which is where CDC wants them to be. I still don’t know why Phillip Miller left either voluntarily or not. 

Pierce has been suspended for the UTA game and first game in the OU series for excessive protest/arguing.  Given we're already down one paid coach, not the best look, particularly arguing a call that the umpires got right.

Edited by horns96

34 minutes ago, horns96 said:

Pierce has been suspended for the UTA game and first game in the OU series for excessive protest/arguing.  Given we're already down one paid coach, not the best look, particularly arguing a call that the umpires got right.

Link?

1 hour ago, horns96 said:

Thanks.  I also don't understand what Pierce thought he would accomplish by being so belligerent after that call change.  Whether their process was flawed or not, the final result was the correct call.

But who knows?  Maybe Steve Rodriguez will be the leader they need over those two games.  Hope we see the Steve Rodriguez that Coach Gus was so fond of during Steve's days at Pepperdine.

5 hours ago, southpaw said:

Thanks.  I also don't understand what Pierce thought he would accomplish by being so belligerent after that call change.  Whether their process was flawed or not, the final result was the correct call.

But who knows?  Maybe Steve Rodriguez will be the leader they need over those two games.  Hope we see the Steve Rodriguez that Coach Gus was so fond of during Steve's days at Pepperdine.

This has been an issue with Pierce getting tossed prior to this season. To the point CDC had to step in so I’m told. He had been better this season as this is his first ejection of the season. My issue with his temper tantrums is he doesn’t know when to stop. He completely looses his shi*. He can’t have a level head and make good decisions that are in the best interest of the team when he completely looses his mind. 

1 hour ago, Jerry K said:

He can’t have a level head and make good decisions that are in the best interest of the team when he completely looses his mind. 

He doesn't do this when his mind is in a normal state. Just a complete fraud of a coach since day one.

Edited by Neil Leininger

3 minutes ago, Neil Leininger said:

He doesn't do this when his mind is in a normal state. Just a complete fraud of a coach since day one.

Lol yeah he’s frustrating at times no doubt. I’ve moved on from him and looking forward to seeing who his replacement is.

One thing I wonder is what happens if this team gets hot and makes a run starting this weekend and ends up winning the conference championship. This team has the talent to do it and the conference title is weak enough. Is CDC gonna fire a coach who just one a championship?