BigTex Posted September 15 Posted September 15 I must admit that when we recruited winston as a TE, I was left scratching my head due to his size (6-1.5 / 230). I didn't doubt the recruiters, but it was just a bit odd to see such a short TE be recruited and project at that same position. All I could think is that he was an athlete, and this looks to be the case (I'm sure Gerry and the boys spoke to this previously in his recruiting). Dropped balls aside, he has shown tremendous drive with the opportunities he has been given. I'm curious to see how they will use him going forward, especially since I saw him line up in different sets as well as Sark's praise after the Ohio St. game of his ability to put his foot in the ground and get vertical. I know Townsend, Masunas, and Shannon will each have their own talents to bring to the field, but there's just something about Winston that makes me think he will contribute more to the team's success than what was initially thought (at least by me). Hook 'em! P.s., So proud of this team as a whole to embody the slogans/mottos used by the team (Tough all day, all gas, no brakes, Texas Fight, etc.). These were more than words on Saturday. 19 Quote
hookem1014 Posted September 15 Posted September 15 The TE room overall just does their role well top to bottom. It's been a very well coached position group during Sark's tenure. 6 Quote
AndyL Posted September 15 Posted September 15 Two games in and my biggest disappointment is lack of usage of Masunas as a receiver. No catches yet. I’m assuming he’s not gonna be the catching TE we thought he might be. I was expecting him to log 30-40 catches this year. Instead it looks more like TE by committee approach. 3 1 Quote
BigTex Posted September 15 Author Posted September 15 12 minutes ago, hookem1014 said: The TE room overall just does their role well top to bottom. It's been a very well coached position group during Sark's tenure. Agreed. I think it's also noteworthy that we've had various TE body types through that time. They haven't necessarily stuck to the plus 6'5" type TEs that most teams seem to stock. 1 Quote
BigTex Posted September 15 Author Posted September 15 8 minutes ago, AndyL said: Two games in and my biggest disappointment is lack of usage of Masunas as a receiver. No catches yet. I’m assuming he’s not gonna be the catching TE we thought he might be. I was expecting him to log 30-40 catches this year. Instead it looks more like TE by committee approach. With the injury to Townsend, you never know who will step up. 3 Quote
hookem1014 Posted September 15 Posted September 15 12 minutes ago, AndyL said: Two games in and my biggest disappointment is lack of usage of Masunas as a receiver. No catches yet. I’m assuming he’s not gonna be the catching TE we thought he might be. I was expecting him to log 30-40 catches this year. Instead it looks more like TE by committee approach. I don’t think he was brought in to be a pass catching TE. All the reports when he came here was that his primary role is to be an inline blocker. I’m sure he will have some opportunities throughout the season though. 6 1 Quote
jcash02 Posted September 15 Posted September 15 55 minutes ago, AndyL said: Two games in and my biggest disappointment is lack of usage of Masunas as a receiver. No catches yet. I’m assuming he’s not gonna be the catching TE we thought he might be. I was expecting him to log 30-40 catches this year. Instead it looks more like TE by committee approach. Why were you expecting this when nobody else was? From the very beginning he was described as a blocking TE from Michigan State. None of the OTF crew every talked about his receiving ability. Not even in camp. 3 Quote
903Horn Posted September 15 Posted September 15 I think Winston is one of those guys who you could say is "just a football Player". Not prototypical size for his position, but he makes plays. I've been impressed with his blocking as well. 4 Quote
Bobby Burton Posted September 15 Posted September 15 Check this out. https://watch.longhornnetwork.com/video/1013026 7 1 Quote
GQ03 Posted September 15 Posted September 15 3 hours ago, 903Horn said: I think Winston is one of those guys who you could say is "just a football Player". Not prototypical size for his position, but he makes plays. I've been impressed with his blocking as well. Yeah, he's always reminded me of those TEs/H-Backs that OU used to terrorize us with. Quote
GoHorns1 Posted September 15 Posted September 15 5 hours ago, AndyL said: Two games in and my biggest disappointment is lack of usage of Masunas as a receiver. No catches yet. I’m assuming he’s not gonna be the catching TE we thought he might be. I was expecting him to log 30-40 catches this year. Instead it looks more like TE by committee approach. Was brought as a inline blocking TE not a receiver TE. 1 Quote
GoHorns1 Posted September 15 Posted September 15 He will be TE, Hback, fullback in the I formation… Quote
bpfire4 Posted September 15 Posted September 15 I loved watching him and Townsend line up in the backfield as a fullback 2 Quote
MarkInAustin Posted September 16 Posted September 16 Seems like a very personable young man. Thanks for that LHN video, BB. Quote
Jafwolf Posted September 16 Posted September 16 Feels like each guy in that room has a specific role to play and Shannon and Winston took huge advantage of their opportunity on Saturday night. I am so impressed with the entire staff’s talent acquisition; great mix of elite talent and hard working grinders that are pushing each other to new limits. Recruiting rankings are becoming less important these days. 1 Quote
BigTex Posted September 16 Author Posted September 16 On 9/15/2026 at 12:03 PM, Bobby Burton said: Check this out. https://watch.longhornnetwork.com/video/1013026 Thanks for sharing! Also, it took me a hot second to figure out that was you. Never seen you without a hat before today. If I had a head of hair like that, no telling what I could accomplish! 1 Quote
jkates Posted September 16 Posted September 16 On 9/15/2026 at 10:26 AM, AndyL said: Two games in and my biggest disappointment is lack of usage of Masunas as a receiver. No catches yet. I’m assuming he’s not gonna be the catching TE we thought he might be. I was expecting him to log 30-40 catches this year. Instead it looks more like TE by committee approach. Why did you think he was going to be a pass-catching TE? In 3 seasons at MSU he totaled 24 receptions. 1 2 Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.