Thursday: D-Line Coach Pursuit

I spoke to a person close to the situation last night. And here's what I was told...

Texas is looking for a certain type of DL coach. Steve Sarkisian really wants to up the level of recruiting they have seen on the interior DL.

While Bo Davis was a terrific coach, he didn't exactly leave the cupboard full at his position. Perhaps it's the only position on the team right now that doesn't have an abundance of talent in the underclass ranks.

Texas sees this as an opportunity to improve the staff overall.

Given that, Sark is trying to find someone who can fill the void of not only being an elite developer of talent, but also an elite recruiter of said talent.

That's not necessarily an easy task; Davis is a good coach after all. But Sark wants to make sure he nails this hire, both on the field and in recruiting.

View full news

• Hook 'Em 8

2 minutes ago, agentmule said:

odds a DL hire happens before Feb 7 signing day?

I think that's likely but I don't think Texas sees that as a date of concern. Probably more concerned about the next big junior day event from a timing perspective.

• Hook 'Em 6

Just now, Shawn Strayhorn said:

@Bobby Burton does that also point to maybe not getting someone from the NFL as looking for a plus recruiter in todays game means they are probably already in college and doing it

I don't really know where it points. I know Sark likes coaches who have *some* NFL experience.

I just think it means he's looking for the right fit and that recruiting is going to be a large role in that decision.

BTW - I don't think he's wrong here. The DL position is relatively bare. We're talking about Alex January possibly needing to be ready to play as a true freshman right now. That's not ideal.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Bobby Burton said:

I don't really know where it points. I know Sark likes coaches who have *some* NFL experience.

I just think it means he's looking for the right fit and that recruiting is going to be a large role in that decision.

BTW - I don't think he's wrong here. The DL position is relatively bare. We're talking about Alex January possibly needing to be ready to play as a true freshman right now. That's not ideal.

Frank Okam 2 years NFL, currently at Toledo, did a good job with rhule at Baylor, got him the Carolina gig.

• Hook 'Em 2

As our old friend Gerry used to say, DT is a developmental position.  It's as important if not more important to identify good raw material and develop it than it is to recruit stars.  We just had two All-Americans who somebody (not Bo) recognized as 5-star raw material and then were developed into that (by Bo).  Gerry used to bring up lots of other examples.   They are the exception that IS the rule.  Give me somebody who knows how to do that.

• Hook 'Em 4

If the right DL Coach comes from a premiere college program, perhaps he'll bring 1 or 2 players with him. If Sark hires an NFL Coach that brings pluses and the minus that there's no on to follow him. But it can create excitement about what he can produce. THIS IS GETTING DRAWN OUT AND THAT BRINGS ATTENTION which can be positive or negative. All will be forgotten if the right person is brought in! And if you think we're anxious, just think about those potential Longhorns out there!

1 hour ago, Bobby Burton said:

Is there some kind of hiccup with Ed O?  He’d be a slam dunk hire imo.

1 minute ago, Sockeye said:

Is there some kind of hiccup with Ed O?  He’d be a slam dunk hire imo.

Bobby just reported yesterday (I think) that Ed O. was happy enjoying his money from LSU and not in any hurry to jump back into the grind of CFB.

• Hook 'Em 2

I don't know if there's another name that fits that qualification more than Ed O. I'm sure he'd be interested in the position if given the call. Only question would be if he's the right fit with the staff and team culture wise? He's proven to be an elite developer and an elite recruiter.

• Hook 'Em 1