Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted
35 minutes ago, 4thandFive said:

I love it too. Cinderellas might upset a few apple carts, but ultimately I think the better few teams will win in the end.

 

And bowl games are dead. They’re just things to do around Christmas holiday when nothing else is on tv.

Why could they not use the better weather and major bowl locations for playoff games when on neutral field?

Posted
1 hour ago, WG Carter said:

I see a real danger in 1st round picks sitting out some of these games, like they do in bowl games now. 

Unless the players get additional money/ insurance---lot to ask them to play almost 19 games

Don't think they would sit out play off games.

 

Posted

We are going to look back in a few years and realize this did not incentivize teams to schedule tougher and might end up having the opposite impact.

Teams that were normally 8-4/7-5 types are going to attempt to schedule their way into the playoffs by playing no one in non-conference and hope to be ranked 22nd at the end of the year. 

  • Hook 'Em 2
Posted
11 hours ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

I wanted 16… but it’s going to be 24

Im different… I love it. The viewership of CFB will continue to ascend. This has been proven out with the NCAA Tournament. Football will be no different. The blue bloods won’t like it, as it will take away inherent advantage. But it is what it is. 

More fan bases will be engaged throughout. 

You will continue to get the Ohio State and ND games in the non-conference… which is how it should be. 

Some fans may say the regular season doesn’t matter as much now… I will push back on that.

Top seeded teams will get two home games in playoffs, more than likely. That is huge for fans bases, and universities 

Viewership will ascend for regular season games? How has that been proven out by NCAAB? I see how a first round playoff game would have higher viewership than the Alamo Bowl or something like that, but I don’t see viewership ascending for regular season games. It’s dilution. 

this is Big10. SEC could easily consistently threaten with 8 teams in a 16 team playoff to 4-6 with the Big10. Big10 wants 24 to have more of a chance of fielding close to the same number of teams from the SEC

  • Hook 'Em 1
Posted

This is an NCAA socialist wet dream. One for all and all for one. Does anyone really think this means a more deserving SEC team will get in over some Podunk U that has a good record because they played the Sister Mary U's in their conference? The NCAA wants Texas, Bama, and all other SEC and B1G on the same playing field financially with all the other 300+ institutions. They call it better competition. So we will get 6 to 8 game blowouts like last year's Oregon and James Madison, instead of the couple we had. How many people are going to sit through games like that?

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

I wanted 16… but it’s going to be 24

Im different… I love it. The viewership of CFB will continue to ascend. This has been proven out with the NCAA Tournament. Football will be no different. The blue bloods won’t like it, as it will take away inherent advantage. But it is what it is. 

More fan bases will be engaged throughout. 

You will continue to get the Ohio State and ND games in the non-conference… which is how it should be. 

Some fans may say the regular season doesn’t matter as much now… I will push back on that.

Top seeded teams will get two home games in playoffs, more than likely. That is huge for fans bases, and universities 

The NCAA Tournament comparison gets made a lot, but college football isn't college basketball. The reason the regular season has always been so compelling is because every week feels like an elimination game.

If 24 teams get in, a lot of the urgency disappears. A team can lose multiple games, sleepwalk through part of its schedule, and still make the playoff. That's not increasing the value of the sport, it's shifting the value from the regular season to the postseason.

And let's be honest, this isn't primarily about fairness. If the goal were simply to crown the best team, 12 was already more than enough. The difference between the 12th-best team and the 24th-best team is usually pretty significant.

More fan bases might stay engaged, but that's because everyone gets a participation trophy path into the bracket. What made college football unique was that not everyone did.

At some point we're not improving the playoff, we're just creating more inventory for.

You should know this better than anyone Gerry>>>>College basketball can survive watering down the regular season because it plays 30+ games. College football only gets 12. The scarcity is the product. A 24-team playoff turns huge regular-season games into seeding debates. That's great for TV executives, not necessarily for the sport.

I stick with my ugh 😀

Edited by HonkEm
  • Hook 'Em 1
Posted
10 hours ago, Beldar said:

It works in high school football, and lower levels of college . If the damn committee is going to ignore strength of schedule, then I am for it. 16 would be better but all conferences outside of SEC want 24. I am more concerned about the clown show in DC being involved in making laws to control college sports. Everything they do is a cluster F.

 

High school football and lower-division college football aren't really comparable. Those leagues have dozens or even hundreds of teams with far less separation between schedules and conferences.

FBS already has the most meaningful regular season in sports. Why copy the playoff model from levels that don't have that?

If the committee is ignoring strength of schedule, the fix is to improve the selection criteria, not invite another dozen teams that probably aren't national title contenders anyway.

  • Hook 'Em 1
Posted
12 hours ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

I wanted 16… but it’s going to be 24

Im different… I love it. The viewership of CFB will continue to ascend. This has been proven out with the NCAA Tournament. Football will be no different. The blue bloods won’t like it, as it will take away inherent advantage. But it is what it is. 

More fan bases will be engaged throughout. 

You will continue to get the Ohio State and ND games in the non-conference… which is how it should be. 

Some fans may say the regular season doesn’t matter as much now… I will push back on that.

Top seeded teams will get two home games in playoffs, more than likely. That is huge for fans bases, and universities 

I’m still a fan of 16, but I see your points.  On the home games, the top 8 seeds should have a bye in round 1, correct?  If so, those seeds would have home games in the round of 16.  Would the quarters also be on home fields instead of the current format (4 of the former NY6 bowl games)?

Posted
12 hours ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

I wanted 16… but it’s going to be 24

Im different… I love it. The viewership of CFB will continue to ascend. This has been proven out with the NCAA Tournament. Football will be no different. The blue bloods won’t like it, as it will take away inherent advantage. But it is what it is. 

More fan bases will be engaged throughout. 

You will continue to get the Ohio State and ND games in the non-conference… which is how it should be. 

Some fans may say the regular season doesn’t matter as much now… I will push back on that.

Top seeded teams will get two home games in playoffs, more than likely. That is huge for fans bases, and universities 

I’m still a fan of 16, but I see your points.  On the home games, the top 8 seeds should have a bye in round 1, correct?  If so, those seeds would have home games in the round of 16.  Would the quarters also be on home fields instead of the current format (4 of the former NY6 bowl games)?

Posted
12 hours ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

I wanted 16… but it’s going to be 24

Im different… I love it. The viewership of CFB will continue to ascend. This has been proven out with the NCAA Tournament. Football will be no different. The blue bloods won’t like it, as it will take away inherent advantage. But it is what it is. 

More fan bases will be engaged throughout. 

You will continue to get the Ohio State and ND games in the non-conference… which is how it should be. 

Some fans may say the regular season doesn’t matter as much now… I will push back on that.

Top seeded teams will get two home games in playoffs, more than likely. That is huge for fans bases, and universities 

I’m still a fan of 16, but I see your points.  On the home games, the top 8 seeds should have a bye in round 1, correct?  If so, those seeds would have home games in the round of 16.  Would the quarters also be on home fields instead of the current format (4 of the former NY6 bowl games)?

Posted
1 hour ago, Assistant Regional Manager said:

We are going to look back in a few years and realize this did not incentivize teams to schedule tougher and might end up having the opposite impact.

Teams that were normally 8-4/7-5 types are going to attempt to schedule their way into the playoffs by playing no one in non-conference and hope to be ranked 22nd at the end of the year. 

I’m with you here.  There are more of those 8-5 types that will be looking for an advantage.  An extra non-conference loss would be detrimental.  Nevermind that the extra mental and physical juice may result in less focus for some of the conference slate.

Also, the number of home site games increases.  Seedings matter and the most significant risk to that is an extra loss.

For any team, they have to find a willing non-conference participant.  So those that typically fall in that 16-32 range will have to think long and hard about whether they want to risk it.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.