Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

After watching the historic performance by CeeDee Lamb against the Texans, I listened to Shannon Sharpe & Ocho discuss how the Cowboys moved CeeDee all over the field and utilized him in creative ways.

It got me thinking about how Sark and the Longhorns are using (or not using) Cam Coleman.

My hot take is...

Explain how we're doing anything different than how Auburn used him, through the first 4 games of the season?

We heard all this talk about how he would be a complete WR, have a diverse route tree, be in a creative offense etc.

All I see so far is him being used as a deep ball 50/50 jump ball threat. Same thing in the red zone. All I've seen are fades and glance routes. 

Were we sold a bill of goods? Is this on Sark, Arch or Cam himself? 

  • Hook 'Em 6
Posted
3 minutes ago, jcash02 said:

After watching the historic performance by CeeDee Lamb against the Texans, I listened to Shannon Sharpe & Ocho discuss how the Cowboys moved CeeDee all over the field and utilized him in creative ways.

It got me thinking about how Sark and the Longhorns are using (or not using) Cam Coleman.

My hot take is...

Explain how we're doing anything different than how Auburn used him, through the first 4 games of the season?

We heard all this talk about how he would be a complete WR, have a diverse route tree, be in a creative offense etc.

All I see so far is him being used as a deep ball 50/50 jump ball threat. Same thing in the red zone. All I've seen are fades and glance routes. 

Were we sold a bill of goods? Is this on Sark, Arch or Cam himself? 

So far, you are right but hopefully his role with evolve and expand as we move into the meat of our schedule and get past all the mental errors our offensive unit has created. 

  • Hook 'Em 3
Posted
1 minute ago, Here for the Wins said:

Is Wingo faster and quicker?  I think he’s better with the ball in his hands.  If he checks those boxes, then he’s the guy to move around.

I agree I think Wingo has shown he’s much better as a YAC receiver than a deep ball threat. Need to find ways to get Coleman more opportunities that don’t involve long developing routes. One on one matchups where he can go up and get it. He’s done it in the red zone a couple times.

  • Hook 'Em 1
Posted
11 minutes ago, jcash02 said:

After watching the historic performance by CeeDee Lamb against the Texans, I listened to Shannon Sharpe & Ocho discuss how the Cowboys moved CeeDee all over the field and utilized him in creative ways.

It got me thinking about how Sark and the Longhorns are using (or not using) Cam Coleman.

My hot take is...

Explain how we're doing anything different than how Auburn used him, through the first 4 games of the season?

We heard all this talk about how he would be a complete WR, have a diverse route tree, be in a creative offense etc.

All I see so far is him being used as a deep ball 50/50 jump ball threat. Same thing in the red zone. All I've seen are fades and glance routes. 

Were we sold a bill of goods? Is this on Sark, Arch or Cam himself? 

I would compare Cam to more of a George Pickens than CD. The deep threat is always there with GP but what makes him dynamic is his slant route. GP had a slant/corner route that almost made the DB fall down. He wasn't targeted but was wide open. I could see a duo similar in style to CD/GP with Wingo/Coleman. Wingo being the RAC/quicker guy that CD is and Coleman being in that GP role.

Posted
4 minutes ago, hookem1014 said:

I agree I think Wingo has shown he’s much better as a YAC receiver than a deep ball threat. Need to find ways to get Coleman more opportunities that don’t involve long developing routes. One on one matchups where he can go up and get it. He’s done it in the red zone a couple times.

I think the skinny post that Cam had on the first drive against UTSA is a great example of this. Intermediate route in the middle of the field.

  • Hook 'Em 1
Posted
1 minute ago, hookem1014 said:

I agree I think Wingo has shown he’s much better as a YAC receiver than a deep ball threat. Need to find ways to get Coleman more opportunities that don’t involve long developing routes. One on one matchups where he can go up and get it. He’s done it in the red zone a couple times.

I think he’s 4 of 8 on contested catches.  UTSA whipped him once on a catchable ball and bodied him a bit on another.  He can clearly make some spectacular catches.  But……do we want to rely on 50/50 balls?   You are effectively saying they’re a break even proposition.  There’s an element of encouraging your QB to throw to a covered WR.  There are several inherent issues in that.

Posted

His average yards per reception is up almost 5 yards from last year and he has already almost matched his touchdown total.

We have a lot of mouths to feed. Every thread is filled with people demanding Bishop get more touches or Wingo get more involved in the screen game or throw the tight ends more and don't forget about Emmett Mosley and don't forget to run the ball Sark!

There is one football to go around. Coleman is doing fine and will have his big games. 

Posted
7 minutes ago, jcash02 said:

After watching the historic performance by CeeDee Lamb against the Texans, I listened to Shannon Sharpe & Ocho discuss how the Cowboys moved CeeDee all over the field and utilized him in creative ways.

It got me thinking about how Sark and the Longhorns are using (or not using) Cam Coleman.

My hot take is...

Explain how we're doing anything different than how Auburn used him, through the first 4 games of the season?

We heard all this talk about how he would be a complete WR, have a diverse route tree, be in a creative offense etc.

All I see so far is him being used as a deep ball 50/50 jump ball threat. Same thing in the red zone. All I've seen are fades and glance routes. 

Were we sold a bill of goods? Is this on Sark, Arch or Cam himself? 

The numbers are mostly lower than what he did last year at Auburn (see graph below).  When I brought this up last week I was told not to worry, that guys like (either Golden or Mitchell, forgot which) had slow starts after transferring in but came on strong later.  But both those guys had Quinn at QB and ran a lot of shorter and intermediate routes, so somewhat different situations.

Teams seem to be either playing the 3 high safety look to take away the deep ball or blitzing and giving Arch little time to throw (haven't watched for this in detail but that's my impression).

Anyway, table below shows Cam's numbers for 12 games at Auburn and 4 at Texas - multiply the Texas stats by 3 and you end up with 60 targets, 36 receptions (fewer than Deandre Moore had last season), 624 yards (!!) and 12 TDs.  The TD number is excellent but the others are disappointing.

There were two long passes that could have been big catches - the INT he tipped up against OSU and the play against Tennessee where the CB snatched it from him for another INT.  Had he caught one or both of those that would add a lot of yards to his numbers.

It's reasonable to speculate that he'll get better as the season progresses, more in tune with Arch, but I agree with you that he hasn't produced as expected thus far.

Unleash Cam Coleman!

 

 

coleman_25v26.jpg

  • Hook 'Em 1
Posted
1 minute ago, Here for the Wins said:

I think he’s 4 of 8 on contested catches.  UTSA whipped him once on a catchable ball and bodied him a bit on another.  He can clearly make some spectacular catches.  But……do we want to rely on 50/50 balls?   You are effectively saying they’re a break even proposition.  There’s an element of encouraging your QB to throw to a covered WR.  There are several inherent issues in that.

I could be wrong, but I think some of those were also in double coverage. The deep shot vs Tennessee (which imo he should have still caught) was tough. I would take his chances in a true 1 on 1 situation. Still need to find ways to use him outside of that though I agree.

Posted
1 minute ago, hookem1014 said:

I could be wrong, but I think some of those were also in double coverage. The deep shot vs Tennessee (which imo he should have still caught) was tough. I would take his chances in a true 1 on 1 situation. Still need to find ways to use him outside of that though I agree.

Certainly could be.  The Tenn one was tough.  The UTSA ones stand out most in my mind. I’d just not force it to him.  As a QB I can see the thought that he’s not getting enough looks so I need to look his way more often.  Or that knowing he can go get it that you force it.  This team shouldn’t be chasing numbers because there are multiple viable options.

  • Hook 'Em 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.