Have your expectations changed after the first two games?

• Moderators

Texas is now 2-0, with both a dominating home win over a G5 and a good ol’ fashioned butt whipping of a win against a (then ranked) No. 10 Michigan team on the road. 

In those two games the Longhorns have:

- Outscored their opponents 83-12. 

- Averaged 301 passing yards per game  

- Averaged 197 rushing yards per game. 

- Allowed 139 yards through the air, on average, per game. 

- Held opponents to 99 rushing yards, on average, per game. 

So, now that we are two games in, have your expectations for this team changed? Why or why not? 

And, if so, how have they changed?

• Hook 'Em 4

I still think we lose one of arky, aggy, and Ou. 

then Georgia is a 50/50 shot with how we’ve been looking. Before I took it as a 25/75 shot. 

so, 10-2 and possible 11-1 is my prediction. Before I was thinking 9-3. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Nah still about the same. We just need to handle our business and tune out the rat poison. And take care of any internal rat poison. 

I usually don't take a whole lot of stock in social media , but Johntay seems upset on Instagram. I know ha but looking at comments and who replied might be something to watch. Rumors out there. We just need to stay together as a team and squash that stuff if needed. Probably just upset on playing time etc.

• Hook 'Em 1

I had 10-2 with a ceiling of 11-1 and floor of 8-4.

The floor has moved up a tick. I want to see Arkansas, OU and A&M in the next couple of weeks.

Arkansas apparently has a potent offense. OU has a good D and a bad situation on O but it’s a no holds barred rivalry game. A&M has a chance to get its season back on track with a win against floundering Florida this weekend. 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

I had 10-2, and would change it to 11-1 with a win at Michigan 

Now I have 11-1, but the key for me is Texas has a two game cushion now in the SEC to make the playoff. That’s huge … in case of an upset along the way. 

You don’t get to talk you had us losing to the Aggie goobs 

• Haha 1

11-1 for me still. My expectations haven’t changed because I thought this team would be really good. Not sure we can take away a whole ton from either of the first 2 games. For all we know, Michigan could end up being a 7-5 team. I do think the offense is confirmed to be really good, but the defense will need to face a much better offense to really prove something.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Joe Zura said:

You don’t get to talk you had us losing to the Aggie goobs 

lol I backed myself into a corner during our preview show on that one!

The Aggies will be pulling fire alarms, headsets won't work, Collie attacks on the sideline pregame, food poising, male cheerleader sword attacks, etc...

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 13

I don't think Michigan was much of a test, everyone was higher on them than they should have been. The only real test is Georgia. If we can hold our own against them, win or lose, we have a real shot at the championship. That doesn't mean we will win, playoff games against great opponents are a coin toss, but I expect us to at least get to the semifinal, anything else is hard to guesstimate, but great teams find a way to win those kind of games, question is if we're there yet.

1 hour ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

lol I backed myself into a corner during our preview show on that one!

The Aggies will be pulling fire alarms, headsets won't work, Collie attacks on the sideline pregame, food poising, male cheerleader sword attacks, etc...

Ahhh the male cheerleaders. Such a wonderful tradition 🤮😂

• Hook 'Em 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Jonas Peterson said:

I don't think Michigan was much of a test, everyone was higher on them than they should have been. The only real test is Georgia. If we can hold our own against them, win or lose, we have a real shot at the championship. That doesn't mean we will win, playoff games against great opponents are a coin toss, but I expect us to at least get to the semifinal, anything else is hard to guesstimate, but great teams find a way to win those kind of games, question is if we're there yet.

I disagree with you, but that's what makes this fun. 

Anytime you go on the road to a blue blood program that is winning, set a record for most attendance every at a college FB game, has 20-25 future NFL draft picks that played Saturday against Texas, etc... it's a test. Even if Michigan is an 8-4 team this season, which is what they looked like offensively, Texas had to play very well, be very physical an execute at a high rate. 

• Hook 'Em 4

My expectations did change a little bit - I had Texas going 10-2 this year, getting upset by Kentucky, and beat by Georgia. Those two losses may very well still happen, but I sense a maturity about this team, and even better, a killer instinct. When Texas forced a turnover before halftime and got the ball back with time to score again while, at the time, up 17-3, I thought, "Whether or not they capitalize with six or three here almost doesn't matter because Michigan is in a hole regardless, but six points here says Texas has every great team has - the ability to punish you for making a mistake, something Michael Jordan, Tom Brady and all the greats had." And they did just that. 

I think Texas SHOULD be in the SEC Championship game. Texas SHOULD be one of the last four teams in the playoffs. Right now, that's all I can say. More football needs to be played.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Blake Munroe said:

Texas is now 2-0, with both a dominating home win over a G5 and a good ol’ fashioned butt whipping of a win against a (then ranked) No. 10 Michigan team on the road. 

So, now that we are two games in, have your expectations for this team changed? Why or why not? 

My expectations, or what I think the potential of the team have changed because of the difference [so far] between last year and now: Last year, though beating Alabama going away, before the last two games, the team played poorly enough in several of them to have lost against lesser teams. Difficult to fully trust the potential of that team (just like most the previous 13 or so years). So far this year they have trounced a team they were expected to trounce and also trounced a team most (especially Bobby) thought would be very tough to beat. Easier to have more confidence in this team.

14 hours ago, Blake Munroe said:

My expectations haven't changed a lot. 

Some areas of concern have proven to be better than I expected: DB play, TE in the passing game

Some areas of concern still exist: interior DL stoutness, explosives

We're good.