TTown Posted 11 hours ago Posted 11 hours ago According to Ross Dellenger they are closer than ever now. The Yahoo article has the details. Just get the $ right and pretty much will be done. https://x.com/RossDellenger/status/2105411439468900593?s=20 1 4 Quote
AusMOJO Posted 11 hours ago Posted 11 hours ago I don't see why they want 24 teams in the playoffs, it just further waters it down, imo. I think they'll get a lot more push back over 24 than they did 12. 1 Quote
HonkEm Posted 11 hours ago Posted 11 hours ago Ugh. I hate this idea. We just expanded to 12 teams and now we're already talking about 24? At some point the regular season stops mattering. One of the best things about college football has always been that every game feels huge. A single loss can change your season. Expand it to 24 and we're moving closer to the NFL model where you can lose multiple games and still comfortably make the playoff. This feels a lot more like a TV money decision than a competitive balance decision. Not every problem in college football needs to be solved by adding more playoff games. Quote
GoHorns1 Posted 9 hours ago Posted 9 hours ago 1 hour ago, AusMOJO said: I don't see why they want 24 teams in the playoffs, it just further waters it down, imo. I think they'll get a lot more push back over 24 than they did 12. More money, more money. Regular season play determines seeding and possibly of 2 additional home games. Quote
AusMOJO Posted 9 hours ago Posted 9 hours ago 7 minutes ago, GoHorns1 said: More money, more money. Regular season play determines seeding and possibly of 2 additional home games. That would just turn me off CFB at that point. But I'm just one guy. But I don't get a share of the pie, so my opinion matters zero. Quote
Atxdubstep Posted 7 hours ago Posted 7 hours ago This will have an effect on recruiting as well. Can't really sell making the playoffs if most of your recruiting competition is also making it every year Quote
CHorn427 Posted 4 hours ago Posted 4 hours ago Gonna have 7-5 teams claiming they deserve a shot. It’s ridiculous Quote
Moderators Gerry Hamilton Posted 3 hours ago Moderators Posted 3 hours ago I wanted 16… but it’s going to be 24 Im different… I love it. The viewership of CFB will continue to ascend. This has been proven out with the NCAA Tournament. Football will be no different. The blue bloods won’t like it, as it will take away inherent advantage. But it is what it is. More fan bases will be engaged throughout. You will continue to get the Ohio State and ND games in the non-conference… which is how it should be. Some fans may say the regular season doesn’t matter as much now… I will push back on that. Top seeded teams will get two home games in playoffs, more than likely. That is huge for fans bases, and universities 11 Quote
Califashorn75 Posted 3 hours ago Posted 3 hours ago It's always about the money. Imagine how these blowhards feel knowing that players get paid. For years they ate like King Henry VIII, while the peasants (players) did all the work. Now that their profits have been scattered throughout the wind, they need creative ways to get more. Bingo. 24 team playoff! 1 Quote
GQ03 Posted 2 hours ago Posted 2 hours ago 55 minutes ago, Gerry Hamilton said: I wanted 16… but it’s going to be 24 Im different… I love it. The viewership of CFB will continue to ascend. This has been proven out with the NCAA Tournament. Football will be no different. The blue bloods won’t like it, as it will take away inherent advantage. But it is what it is. More fan bases will be engaged throughout. You will continue to get the Ohio State and ND games in the non-conference… which is how it should be. Some fans may say the regular season doesn’t matter as much now… I will push back on that. Top seeded teams will get two home games in playoffs, more than likely. That is huge for fans bases, and universities Yes, you'll get more of the big Non-conference Games but the results won't matter anymore. What makes the Ohio St wins this year & '05 so special is what they meant for Texas' post-season prospects. Now it'll just be more like a cbb Non-conference big game where the result doesn't really hold a ton of significance. That gets away from what what's made cfb special and that's coming from someone who also loves cbb. 2 Quote
Tuco Ramirez Posted 2 hours ago Posted 2 hours ago 12 minutes ago, GQ03 said: Yes, you'll get more of the big Non-conference Games but the results won't matter anymore. What makes the Ohio St wins this year & '05 so special is what they meant for Texas' post-season prospects. Now it'll just be more like a cbb Non-conference big game where the result doesn't really hold a ton of significance. That gets away from what what's made cfb special and that's coming from someone who also loves cbb. I partially disagree with this. Playing big games can boost your rankings giving you two home playoff games which would be an advantage for the team and great for fans. The Clemson playoff game a couple of years ago was a pleasant surprise. Of course, this all depends on what they do with SoS. If teams that play the ooc games we all want to see continue to be punished, then the 24 team format is just as stupid as the current setup. 2 Quote
PaulieD Posted 1 hour ago Posted 1 hour ago 1 hour ago, Gerry Hamilton said: I wanted 16… but it’s going to be 24 Im different… I love it. The viewership of CFB will continue to ascend. This has been proven out with the NCAA Tournament. Football will be no different. The blue bloods won’t like it, as it will take away inherent advantage. But it is what it is. More fan bases will be engaged throughout. You will continue to get the Ohio State and ND games in the non-conference… which is how it should be. Some fans may say the regular season doesn’t matter as much now… I will push back on that. Top seeded teams will get two home games in playoffs, more than likely. That is huge for fans bases, and universities I guess you better adjust your corn dawg order upwards, G-man. Quote
Joe Naural Posted 1 hour ago Posted 1 hour ago (edited) smart move on SEC to lock in 9 games…locks in $$$$ All other conferences get hurt … sEC becomes stronger…, via tv $$$ sec games are most viewed Edited 1 hour ago by Joe Naural Quote
WG Carter Posted 1 hour ago Posted 1 hour ago I see a real danger in 1st round picks sitting out some of these games, like they do in bowl games now. Unless the players get additional money/ insurance---lot to ask them to play almost 19 games Quote
Beldar Posted 1 hour ago Posted 1 hour ago 10 hours ago, AusMOJO said: I don't see why they want 24 teams in the playoffs, it just further waters it down, imo. I think they'll get a lot more push back over 24 than they did 12. It works in high school football, and lower levels of college . If the damn committee is going to ignore strength of schedule, then I am for it. 16 would be better but all conferences outside of SEC want 24. I am more concerned about the clown show in DC being involved in making laws to control college sports. Everything they do is a cluster F. Quote
Texas fan in Georgia Posted 1 hour ago Posted 1 hour ago The best thing about this is it gives OU and A&M reasons to keep venables and elko. More room for 9-3 maybe even 8-4 type teams. Quote
Beldar Posted 1 hour ago Posted 1 hour ago 2 hours ago, Gerry Hamilton said: I wanted 16… but it’s going to be 24 Im different… I love it. The viewership of CFB will continue to ascend. This has been proven out with the NCAA Tournament. Football will be no different. The blue bloods won’t like it, as it will take away inherent advantage. But it is what it is. More fan bases will be engaged throughout. You will continue to get the Ohio State and ND games in the non-conference… which is how it should be. Some fans may say the regular season doesn’t matter as much now… I will push back on that. Top seeded teams will get two home games in playoffs, more than likely. That is huge for fans bases, and universities I agree totally. If they will not use SOS to pick teams, this is good for the Horns. Quote
Texas fan in Georgia Posted 1 hour ago Posted 1 hour ago 11 minutes ago, WG Carter said: I see a real danger in 1st round picks sitting out some of these games, like they do in bowl games now. Unless the players get additional money/ insurance---lot to ask them to play almost 19 games I haven’t read much into the whole deal, but wouldn’t a 24 team playoff basically eliminate bowl season? Some companies have already pulled out of sponsoring the non NY6 bowls. Quote
4thandFive Posted 42 minutes ago Posted 42 minutes ago I love it too. Cinderellas might upset a few apple carts, but ultimately I think the better few teams will win in the end. And bowl games are dead. They’re just things to do around Christmas holiday when nothing else is on tv. Quote
Moderators Gerry Hamilton Posted 41 minutes ago Moderators Posted 41 minutes ago 30 minutes ago, Texas fan in Georgia said: I haven’t read much into the whole deal, but wouldn’t a 24 team playoff basically eliminate bowl season? Some companies have already pulled out of sponsoring the non NY6 bowls. I believe this to be correct 1 Quote
Shmatt Posted 40 minutes ago Posted 40 minutes ago It’s annoying but more important football games so I’m fine with it, it’s not something that will drive me away from CFB. If anything I’ll be more interested to see what happens. 24 is either gonna be trash or okay so idk Quote
Shmatt Posted 38 minutes ago Posted 38 minutes ago 7 hours ago, Atxdubstep said: This will have an effect on recruiting as well. Can't really sell making the playoffs if most of your recruiting competition is also making it every year I mean you’re Texas, that sells its self honestly. That’s gonna help smaller school recruiting if anything honestly. Quote
Austalgia Posted 29 minutes ago Posted 29 minutes ago (edited) Will be better than 12. Teams wont be as scared of 3 loss season and will schedule OOC big dogs again 1st week. That was going to go away pretty soon in current system. Edited 29 minutes ago by Austalgia Quote
Eric24 Posted 22 minutes ago Posted 22 minutes ago The best part about 24 is that we will get more big time out of conference games. Teams won’t be scared to put those games on their schedules as they were with the 4 and 12 team playoffs. A loss in those types of games won’t “end” your season and a win would almost guarantee you make it. Could be good for the fans. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.