Here for the Wins
Supporters-
Posts
1426 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Texas Longhorns News
2025 Recruits
2024 Schedule
2026 Recruits
2025 Schedule
2027 Recruits
2026 Schedule
2028 Recruits
Gallery
Downloads
Forums
Blogs
Store
Everything posted by Here for the Wins
-
I’ve recorded and rewatched many of the games over the past 30-ish years. Many of those in person initially. Generally speaking I feel better after having rewatched the games. There has been an evolution of how I view things over that time. Live, I watch the ball. With rewatch you can see a lot more. Video has improved a great deal, rewind is better so the opportunities for clear viewing are better. I’d like to think my perspective is more rational as sometimes it takes multiple views of a play whereas players get one chance in real time.
-
Looks like 24 Team Playoff is Coming
Here for the Wins replied to TTown's topic in On Texas Football Forum
I’m with you here. There are more of those 8-5 types that will be looking for an advantage. An extra non-conference loss would be detrimental. Nevermind that the extra mental and physical juice may result in less focus for some of the conference slate. Also, the number of home site games increases. Seedings matter and the most significant risk to that is an extra loss. For any team, they have to find a willing non-conference participant. So those that typically fall in that 16-32 range will have to think long and hard about whether they want to risk it. -
Landon Tengwall film study Dylan Sikorski
Here for the Wins replied to GoHorns1's topic in On Texas Football Forum
How many of these videos have you watched? I am not talking Texas but for other teams. -
I’m not sure what one would consider a meaningful snap of football. If you like share a little more insight into the meaningful snaps you’ve played. Does that start at the college level?
-
Stats/data all need to be taken in context. In 2021 is when I became particularly intrigued with PFF. I do feel as though I’ve gained some knowledge each year. And often as I see one data point, it brings about a different question for me. I never take one data point in isolation. For average time to throw, the overall time has less value than the categorization of it. For all of 2025, the QB with longest time to throw for the entire season was 2.86 seconds when kept clean. Faizon’s was 3.27 seconds when kept clean. His average depth of target on those throws was 7.8 yards. Of 168 qualifying QBs, that ranks 101st in deepest down the field when kept clean. Arch was 2.48 seconds and 8.6 yards down the field. So about 8 tenths of a second faster at almost a yard further downfield. Faizon was not good. These numbers indicate that Faizon is not being decisive with the ball or that he’s waiting to attack downfield. He held it too long for too little reward. For 2025, the worst rate of pressures converted to sacks was 36%. He was at 43%. If you’d like to add a little context to that Arch was at 13.3% last year. So not sure how you to spin that to say Faizon was not responsible for his share of the blame. So rather than complaining about the information I made a concerted effort to understand it better. I’d encourage others to do the same.
-
Why not? They have lots of information. It is broken down multiple ways. Even as a user of the information, you can disregard whatever piece you find not useful. That average time to throw can be broken down multiple ways. Did you know that? Because often as it’s presented is in the context of every pass. But it is available when “kept clean” as a standalone so inherent in that is how long a QB sits in the pocket. So now imagine when collecting that data point only on non-scrambles or just collect it every time then sort it out. Probably easier to collect every play - snap to throw equals no ambiguity. And the thing is that every game is collected consistently. So I ask you now, did you know it can be broken down separately?
-
So they should cut it off before he throws it? So you’d call it “average time to………not throw just yet.?”
-
Remember when Arch rolled left versus UTEP, then rolled right then threw the pick? That was probably 7 seconds or more from snap to release. Thats what would get thrown in that bucket. It’s not indicative of when pressure happened but actual time from snap to release however that occurs.
-
Several sacks were because Faizon left the pocket and ran into Simmons who wasn’t really rushing but playing contain. That’s on the QB not the Oline. Believe the RBs were graded as atrocious in the pass pro too - actually it was only Bishop. Sanders grade now sits at 72.1. Moe only played 2 pass plays. Perry played 58 and was graded at 47.2 yet not listed here. The average time to throw is likely solid. It does not mean you cannot or need not apply context. When “kept clean” that time is 3.27 seconds. That’s more time than most take throughout a game when including pressured. When “under pressured” it was 4.37, also a high number but not as high relatively speaking. Almost 100% of the time, the under pressure rate results in a higher average time to throw than the kept clean time, at least in my observations.
-
Coleman has gotten bullied a bit. Some of the throws his way seem a bit forced. He and Arch have had less time together than Wingo and Mosley too so that may have some impact too.
-
We seem to get a bit more Trent Richardson plays than I’d like. That may get ignored because we’re fast.
-
Sark was on record saying that they’d worked on that specifically so I’m not certain that was particular freedom given to the QB. Also compare that to ASU having 13 games of tape with which to work versus Tennessee and a new DC with only 3 games. And likely none of those 3 provided exactly the insight we needed. So who knows how much leash is given.
-
That could be. I don’t delve into that component too much regarding scheme and what he’s asked to do. My opinion comes from straight pass sets that he doesn’t have much impact. They bumped him inside some without much impact. I’ve looked at it as he’s a young, inexperienced guy that we don’t know who he is just yet. Just looked up his alignments. Last year he was outside the Tackle 75% of the time, this year around 56%. Last year Bgap was around 14%, this year 10%. He’s spent more time over the Tackle this year.
-
Yes, plenty of time. I’m very high on Muschamp. Of all coaches I’ve seen, he’d be my #1 choice to play for so that should be an indicator of my feelings toward him. He and I would have been a helluva combo. i enjoy the stats but lean towards the FEI/OFEI/DFEI since it lends credence to opponent and tosses out garbage time amongst other things.
-
Hill. I ask again where does that originate? The blitz rates that is. PFF. In 2025, Hill’s coverage rate was 74.4% of pass plays. In 2024, Hill’s coverage rate was 84.5%. In 2023, Hill’s coverage rate was 73%. So 2023 and 2025 were similar but 2024 was dissimilar. Now I believe Hill played more Dline in 2025 too so perhaps the blitz rate was different. Blitz rate could be lower but that doesn’t mean he wasn’t rushing the passer. 2025 also had Spence, Moore and others to mix in some rush. Also, this far the NFL is treating Hills higher value as a coverage guy. I am open to more information, better information. That does not accurately depict the Ohio State game. What will constitute this defense as a championship level defense is winning a championship, which is TBD. Many defenses are multiple. That’s what Will is. He proved that Saturday. PK was that too. Certainly the approaches are different but they aren’t entirely different in every scenario. Theres lots to be excited about this year, no doubt.
-
2nd and 7 screenshot below. “Nice try though.” Hill is a coverage guy. His NFL team has him in coverage 90% of the time. He rushed the passer up to 10% higher last ear at Texas than the previous year. He’s a 2nd level rusher not a best you 1 on 1. Biles rushed the passer 10% of pass plays, Cryer was 5%. Versus Tennessee. Hill was at 25% for the season. But sure stick to the guns that he was deployed improperly or that Will does things drastically different. All the material interior defensive guys are back. Simmons back. Jackson, Zina. Littleton more experienced. Jelani more experienced. Williams healthier. Kade more experienced. LBs may be down but not much. You lose Hill, Taaffe, Burke, Guilbeau, Moore. You add Geffrard, Biles, Mascoe, Cryer. Nevermind Hill, Taafe missed 2 games each. Yes, this defense was likely better with no change. Where are you getting the blitz rate? I’m curious about that but struggle to find good info. You guys soil yourself about such things that aren’t really material then call guys off 15 yards a “prevent” defense to justify how it’s different. You may not have complained about that specific thing, but I’ve read quite a few complaints about such a thing in previous years.
-
Do you remember two years ago at A&M? You know a team, a program full of piss and vinegar. Do you remember how many offensive points they mustered? You were probably salivating over yourself that Muschamp that was going to relentlessly bring the house. We didn’t. We played a lot of coverage. This is a more talented, more experienced defense too as compared to last year. No significant injuries yet. 3rd and 12. The corners 7 yards off. Last year, PK, you’re a moron playing 15 yards off. This year Muschamp you’re a genius. And just for photo evidence of us playing off see below. This was Ohio State, and pretty certain we did it the other day too. I am pushing back because of the needless comparison. But some of the fallacy too.
-
My hope is the entire team learned. Yeah it’s over and played a role for making the game more memorable too. The penalty is part of his performance and impact on the game. That’s the message I hope each player gets - one play can be very impactful on the game. Im not asking for any repercussions although I’d hope there might be something internally.
-
That was a premeditated celebration. On the football field, he committed a crime and did it knowingly. He played great, but that penalty discounts the positives from the preceding 3 plays. In the stadiumTennessee had no juice at that point. It provided them an opportunity to grow their confidence, it took an offensive possession from us and changed momentum. Take that embarrassment out of the equation. It was one of the momentous plays in the game. Purely speculative on my part, but I think we score that possession, if it’s 6, it’s probably game over at that point. That discounts his overall game a great deal as it gave them some life when they had none.
-
You seem to be responding to a PFN post and referencing PFF. PFF posts pass blocking grades for all the offense, similar for pass rush, and not unit grades. Both QBs were pressured 46% of dropbacks. Brandon took about 1 second longer on average to throw on those pressures. Brandon graded poorly. That’s not a blocking issue when he breaks the pocket to the outside and runs right into Simmons. PFF had Texas with a better pass blocking grade as a team than Tennessee and consequently a better pass rush grade. I tried to search PFNs site but didn’t have much luck finding more breakdowns. I’m much more familiar with PFF.
-
I feel like people are utterly disregarding SOS
Here for the Wins replied to CHorn427's topic in On Texas Football Forum
Alternative view after week 3 you have to get to the 39th ranked OFEI to find a defensive schedule rated more difficult than Texas at 16th. Ole Miss was at 17th but Tennessee was about 20 spots better in DFEI than Florida. -
I’m not sure there aren’t too many influences in his ear. We’re probably somewhat in that phase of unknowns regarding other teams defenses and what gameplan they’ll bring to the table too. So you add a little complexity to the thinking too much, maybe trying too hard.